Our next post in the Live Green, Vive Verde series is all about saving on your energy bills through landscaping! According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can “improve your home’s comfort and lower your energy bills” with the right landscaping, tailored to your home, your needs, and your geography!
Here are some of our favorites:
Help Save Water by…
1) Grouping plants with similar watering needs together
2) Using mulch to keep plant roots cool and prevent quick evaporation of water
3) Raising your lawn mower cutting height to reduce the amount of water needed to maintain your lawn
Help Save Energy by…
1) Planting trees and shrubs that add shade to your home
2) Planting ground cover, which will help to cool air before it hits your home
3) Using trellises with creeping or climbing vines to add visual interest and cooling shade to a deck or patio
If you’d like to improve your landscaping this year, and explore some of the options you have to make a more energy efficient green space around your home, check out our recommended local experts page for landscapers to call in the Madison area.
The Department of Energy also has an awesome infographic with quick tips on exactly how you can consume less energy with simple landscaping tips! Live Green Landscape Infographic download